11 April 2007

Aced #2! Am I proud?


I actually finished these on Sunday evening, April 8, but didn't take the time to take a picture until now. They are Bell Lace made with Wool-ease, on size US5 circular needles. As you can tell, I added reinforcing nylon to the heels and toes. The yarn was left from a vest I made several years ago, and I wasn't sure if it was a full skein or not. I actually finished these and had almost three yards to spare!
Also shown in the picture is a vintage Boye knitting needle set, designed for argyle socks. It includes three sets of double-points, in US sizes 1, 2, and 3, a little needle tube which holds a yarn needle, a couple of stitch holders, and about ten yarn bobbins. It's probably from about the late 1940's or early 1950's. I collect old sewing and knitting notions, and have been on a tangent collecting these old needle kits lately. I just think they are cute, and fun, not to mention convenient! This kit is only about 3 1/2 by about 6", and fits nicely inside my sock knitting tote, handy for grafting the toe.
My husband just rolls his eyes . . . he's even more speechless when someone anonymously leaves a bag or box of knitting needles on the front porch. He says our home has become a resting place for retired knitting needles.
I'm on the foot of the second sock of my third pair. I got in lots of knitting this afternoon, when I took my grandson to McDonald's because they had early dismissal today. I thought that warranted my taking of early dismissal from the office, too. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

No comments: